Injury is a fact of life. We are constantly in motion, and sometimes – slip, trip, stumble, and fall. Did you get injured in a slip and fall accident? Do you have any chance of getting a compensation? Are you protected by any laws? The staff at Boyko & Associates has professional lawyers and attorneys who are ready to help our clients under any circumstances. Our dedication and commitment to our clients sets us apart from others. We are convinced that any individual should get help when he/she needs it. Therefore, we offer our clients to sign contingent fee contracts. This means that you will pay for our legal services only if the case is successful. We, the staff of Boyko & Associates law firm, have spent years helping people solve their legal and judicial problems. Thanks to us, hundreds of our clients have won their personal injury, immigration, auto accident, slip and fall injury, and many other cases. That is why, we can reasonably say that Boyko & Associates is a place where each and every client can find not only professional help but also compassion and care.
Slip and Fall. What Is It?
According to the laws of the United States, slip and fall is a case filed based on a person slipping (tripping, stumbling) and falling incident. Slip and fall is considered a tort based on a claim that a property owner, a custodian, or a work site owner was negligent enough to allow a dangerous condition that caused slip (trip, step, stumble) and fall injury. Most slip and fall accidents are the so-called ‘premises liability’ cases. This means that they arise when negligence in maintaining, repairing, or upkeeping of the property is present. The overwhelming majority of states protect individuals by imposing laws that require landowners and custodians to keep their property safe. In many states, the laws that protect individuals from negligence in maintaining property pertain not only to business owners but also to regular homeowners. Often, a merchant or business owner should guarantee that his/her property is safe to people who use the property. As a rule, this means that floors and passageways should be safe and free of any conditions or objects that may cause damage to visitors. For example, if a floor is slippery, a property owner should provide a special sign to warn the visitors. If a property has steep stairs or a low ceiling, warning signs should be present as well. According to the laws of the United States, the following premise liability cases are specified as slip (trip, step, stumble) and fall injury:
- slip and fall injury caused by wet floors or any liquids (substances) on the floor;
- slip and fall injury caused by hazardous property conditions (slippery sidewalk, too much snow next to a property, icicles on the roof, holes and protrusions next to a property, etc.);
- slip and fall injury caused by hazardous conditions on a work site or a construction site.
If your injury is caused by a fall that happened because of the negligence of a property owner, contact Boyko & Associates law firm. Our slip and fall injury lawyers provide a wide range of legal services. We are sure that safety is paramount. That is why, if you get a slip and fall personal injury, you should get a compensation not only from your insurance company but also from the property owner whose negligence led to the accident.
What to Do after Slip and Fall Injury?
If you had a slip and fall accident please remember to take the following steps right after the injury:
- avoid any accusations or statements against a property owner;
- find out who is the owner of a property where you got injured (names of owners and managers);
- make sure to write down names and contact info of witnesses;
- take several pictures of a scene where you got injured;
- save your footwear and clothing you wore when you got injured;
- avoid giving any recorded statements to your insurance company.
If you get seriously injured, make sure that a witness or a relative collects all the aforesaid information. It is important to note that we are ready to protect our client even if this information is not provided. Meanwhile, the more information you gather the better are the chances of success. Contact Boyko & Associates law firm immediately after the accident so our injury attorney can start reviewing your case.
What Can Property Owners Do?
We know how most property owners react when an injured person files a suit against them. Years of experience help us provide the most professional slip and fall injury attorney for a particular case. With us you can be sure that your case will be taken individually. As most slip and fall injuries result from either negligence or willful disregard of a property owner to provide safe environment, the overwhelming majority of property owners prefer two defense tactics.
- The first defense tactic is simple: a property owner just denies that he/she was negligent. For instance, the property owner may say that an injured person sprained an ankle not because the staff failed to take away a banana peel but because this banana peel was dropped by another person just minutes before the injured person stepped and slipped on it. In other words, the property owner claims that he/she was not able to take away the banana peel in time.
- The second defense tactic is the most common: the property owner claims that the injured person is at fault of his/her injury. For instance, the property owner may claim that it is the injured person who should have taken necessary steps to see the banana peel and not to step and slip on it for his/her own safety.
To note, slip and fall injuries are generally perceived as injuries that at least partially happen due to the fault of the person who got injured. Therefore, a compensation is usually smaller than for other types of torts.
Boyko & Associates law firm has won hundreds of cases related to slip and fall injuries. If you slip and fall, trip and fall, step and fall, stumble and fall, contact us and we will provide you the most professional slip and fall injury attorney for your unique case. We understand that a personal injury is always a challenge – either you just scratched your knee, sprained an ankle, or sustained a brain injury. In any case, you need assistance of a professional who will break down your slip and fall injury case for you. Boyko & Associates law firm is a place where you will find experienced professionals who are ready to help you under any circumstances. Our law firm provides legal services in English, Spanish, and Russian. With us you will feel at home. If you need slip and fall injury lawyer in Brooklyn, Boyko & Associates law firm is your choice!